The Elk Hills Oil Field (formerly the Naval Petroleum Reserve No. 1) is a large oil field in northwestern Kern County, in the Elk Hills of the San Joaquin Valley, about twenty miles west of Bakersfield. Discovered in 1911 it is the fifth-largest oil field in California, and the seventh-most productive field in the United States. While many of the details about the operations consolidated into this single facility are proprietary, the 39,000 sq. ft. building is a jewel in Oxy’s portfolio of properties.

The facility has two wings of offices and support staff work areas separated by the building’s grand entrance which houses their central command control room. Klassen’s team of architects and constructors worked closely with the Elk Hills staff to develop a plan that meets the growth needs of the company, while consolidating numerous temporary office sites that were once scattered throughout the property.

 

By The Numbers

39,000

Building Sq.Ft.

2

Wings of Offices

1911

Year Discovered